The Guestbook



The community of Ipotesti is located 2 km. south-east of Suceava and includes, in addition to Ipotesti, two other villages, Tisauti and Lisaura, located on the east side of the community along the Suceava River.  The population totals 4760 inhabitants of which 3176 are located in Ipotesti Village proper. (2002 Census)

What is its story?
In the book "
Suceava-file of Story 1388-1918",a collection of various historical  documents, the name of this village appeared for the first time in 1586 in a Slavonic language text which mentioned the name of the surveyor "vataman" Simaşco (Simaschko) Epotesci (Ipotesti).   Concerning the village Lisaura, a document dating from 1820 written in German, states that the ground Tatarasi of "Mitropolia" (Supreme Orthodox Church), has been known for some time as Lisaura. Its name comes from the Russian word LES which means forest.

During the time when Bukovina was part of Galicia (1786-1849), most of the indigenous population (the Romanians) were "Ruthènizéd." This means that families with typically Romanian names were made to alter their surnames by adding the Ruthenian ending "-iuc"   (Irimiciuc, Negriuc, Pauliuc ...).

After the occupation of Bukovina by Austria in 1775, many new settlers arrived in the region (see page on Bucovina-short history), and many Romanians were "Ukraine-ised" including those in Ipotesti.
Certain characteristics tend to justify the Romanian origin of villagers.  Many families whose surname is typically Ukrainian, have  Romanian first names (Traian, Laurentiu, Maria, Aurelia ...).   If you look at old photos, there is no element of traditional Ukrainian costume. The villagers of the past all wore traditional Romanian dress.   After the Second World War, the village was subjected to very strong pro-Soviet propaganda.   At that time, Ukrainian costumes, songs and dances were introduced but only for appearances.

By which ethnic group was the Slavic dialect imposed on the villagers of Ipotesti ?   It has been said that it was from Ukraine, but not everyone is convinced.

What are the memories of the village ancestors ? 

There are still two versions circulating in the village regarding the origin of the name of the village and its inhabitants.
The first version is told by the generation before the Second World War:
"Ipotesti" name comes from :"IPO", the big landowner who held the land where the village is located currently. The people whose names are typically Slavic (Guliciuc, Hostiuc, Hreceniuc ...) are descendants of an ethnic group which came from Galicia between Poland and Ukraine, which brought the Slavic dialect to the village.

The second version is told by the generation after the Second World War
hey say that the  first population of Ipotesti was of Ukrainian origin.  According to oral tradition, Cossack warriors settled here after they lost a battle against the Moldavians in the Middle Ages.  The name Ipotesti is of Ukrainian origin and comes from "lepa, lipoteasca" which means "lime tree". 
For the religious celebration of Pentecost, it is an age-old tradition for the people of this village to decorate their houses with the branches of the flowered lime. A dialect of Ukrainian is still spoken in the village along with Romanian wich is the official language. Lisaura comes from the Ukrainian "Lis" which means "forest", and Tisauti (Tichaoutzi) comes from "tichena, tiche" which means "silence" in Ukrainian.  In these last two villages, inhabitants speak the Romanian language.

Between 1950-1957, schooling was in the Ukrainian language. After this date, education was provided in both Romanian and Ukrainian. Today, Ukrainian is no longer taught or used in the local schools.


Bukovina in  Europe

Romanian map

Suceava county map (south Bukovina)

Bukovina of the austrians (1911)

The Guestbook


The village

The city hall

The School "Scoala de sus"

The school "Scoala generala"



Located between the hills, the village of today is modernizing and full of transformation.  With the recent arrival of gas, water and cable for domestic use, the village streets were newly-named.  But the people of the village do not yet know or use these new street names, preferring instead to use the names for the village's quarters which were given in the past.  Each residence is still recognized according to the traditional district it is located in.  One of these traditional names is Tzarasca (the way of the tsar, the road which leads to the fortress-castle); in Romanian it is also called the main road or "Main Street".  Other traditional district names are:  Seliste, Svandre, Vioz (Ukrainian for "to lead" as in to lead the cart horses"), Colesca ("cradle"; also refers to a large gliding swing seating 4 adults), Sipot (also "shipot"-- a "water source", a small brook which flows through the village to the Suceava River) Bauche, Imas (Romanian for "big lawn"), Scoala de sus ("upper school, school on the hill"), Toloaca (Moldavian for "big lawn" - a separate place from 'imas'), Popa (orthodox priest, the place where the priest lives), Lan ("corn field") and Mociulo (the name of a lake, also similar to a word meaning "soaked"; a lake where people washed their horses and laundry).  The last quarter named was Tatarasii noi which is the district of the newly-rich. 

The first school in Ipotesti (Scoala de Sus), was opened in 1894 and contained two large classrooms, a teachers' room and a house for the director of the school.  In 1895, 258 students were enrolled in this school, including 150 girls and 108 boys.


The school  director's house

The old school and the director's house -  views from the garden

Scoala de Sus, entry

Some teachers who taught at the municipal school of Ipotesti were: Nicolai Cocea (1900), Mihai Ilica, Leonti Burac, Ioan & Eleonora Lupu, Alexandru Cucu, Valeria Margineanu, Xenofan Isopescu, Eudochia Hreceniuc...
and more recently:  Mr. Seiciuc, Emil Burac, Eugen Lupascu, Oresia Cibereac, Nicolai Regus, Gicu Lucan...


"Strajeri"- the class of Teacher Mr. Cucu in 1935 near Redii (woods)

1935 - the 6th and 7th grade classes with their teacher Cucu near Redii

Eleonora Lupu with some of her students in Ipotesti, from the 1940's


During the communist era,  Parish (Casa Parohiala) was turned into a kindergarten and primary school, "The Lower School"   (Scoala de jos)



The Mandolin Orchestra of the school in 1965, created by Mr.Gicu Lucan.


The general school of  Ipotesti of current times


Quelques images du village



Festival Hall




The Old school


Mociulo & Redii








Tataraşii Noi:

The new district already has 340 inhabitants (2006)

The Former Village Center:

The photo to the left shows a building which belonged to Mr. Vasile Cibereac, a community notary in the village. When the Communists came to power, the building was confiscated and made available to the town.  It housed the offices of the police, the grocery store and the bar (bodega). Today the building is abandoned

Photo on the right, the old city center


The Old City Hall and Festival Hall
After the union of Bukovina by Romanian royalty (29 November 1918) the first mayor of Ipotesti was Mr. Vasile Cibereac, elected for 4 years (1921-1925), then:

  1926-1929 - Ioan Iatzco. Mr. Iatzco served 3 terms.
  1930-31 - Nicolai Irimiciuc (son of Ioan)
  1932 - Ioan Iatzco (Cosmarcen)
  1935 - Nicolai Bucaciuc (Caianec)
  1940 - Stefan Hladiuc (Harcalo)
  1947 - Pintilie Regus 

There were also several mayors for short periods:

  -George Irimiciuc (Hambitia)
  -Ioan Hostiuc (Latca)
  -Stefan Irimiciuc (Fatco)
  -Ion Hreceniuc (Zalomenschi)
  -George Negriuc (Zizioca)

The First Mayors of Ipotesti 
Cibereac Vasile (1888-1977), mayor in 1921-1925

Ioan Iatzco (1886-1944) mayor in 1926-1930, he served 3 terms

Stefan Hladiuc (1888-1960), mayor in 1940

Stefan Irimiciuc (Fatzco) (1898-1989)

Ioan Hostiuc (Latca)

updated 2013-03-03

Copyright © 2006-2013 Maritza Hreniuc. All Rights Reserved.